Tags

, , , , , , , , , ,

Well. I finally managed to finish putting up the trellis in the backyard today. Now all I need is a good rain to settle the ground in place. And now that I’m done obsessing over it, I can get around to doing all the other things that should have been done a week ago…such as digging over the vegetable plot and working compost into it. In a week or two the tomatoes should be hardened off and able to be planted. I can sow the lettuce and plant the onion sets as soon as the the beds are prepared.

Anyway, the Eastern red columbines (Aquilegia canadensis) are blooming, which seems a bit early…the swamp milkweed and butterfly milkweed (Ascelpias incarnata and A. tuberosa) are sprouting…which also seems a bit early…and the camassias (Camassia quamash) planted last autumn are finally sprouting (six out of fifteen so far)…which definitely seems late. The wood poppies (Stylophorum diphyllum) are in full bloom now, and there’s no sign of the starflower (Trientalis borealis), so that might need replacing. And unfortunately three roses didn’t make it through winter…oh well, it’s an excuse to go rose shopping.

But! the wild bergamot (Monarda fistulosa) is doing well! I’ve tried it a couple times before and it always fizzled out, so hopefully third time (and location) will be the charm. And jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)! I finally seem to have a self-sustaining population of jewelweed! The seedlings seem to be really susceptible to damping off, but there are so many of them, I’m sure enough will survive to maintain a colony in my little backyard.

Oh yes, and I planted two wintergreens (Gaultheria procumbens) today. That’s another thing that didn’t work for me before but I really would like to have. Hope I’ve learned my lesson.

Advertisements